Desksides have been a mainstay of public relations for many years, and they remain a valuable tool in the PR professional’s arsenal. But in 2023, desksides are undergoing a transformation, as PR professionals adapt to changes in the media landscape and the way journalists work. Here are some tips on how to make the most of desksides in 2023.
- Be selective: In the past, desksides were often used as a way to blanket the media with information. But in 2023, journalists are more time-crunched than ever, and they are unlikely to take a meeting unless they see real value in it. Be selective about which journalists you approach for desksides, and make sure you are targeting the right people with the right story.
- Emphasize personalization: Journalists receive hundreds of pitches every day, and many of them are generic and impersonal. To stand out from the crowd, make sure your deskside pitch is tailored to the individual journalist and his or her interests. Do your research, and find out what the journalist has written about in the past, what topics he or she is interested in, and what kind of stories he or she tends to cover.
- Make it visual: In 2023, journalists are increasingly looking for visual content to accompany their stories. When you set up a deskside, bring along visual materials such as photos, videos, or infographics to help illustrate your story. This will make your pitch more engaging and memorable, and it will help the journalist understand your story more fully.
- Focus on relationship-building: Desksides are a great opportunity to build relationships with journalists, which can pay off in the long run. When you meet with a journalist in person, you have the chance to get to know him or her on a personal level, and to establish a rapport that can be beneficial for future pitches. Make sure you come prepared with questions, and take the time to listen to what the journalist has to say.
- Follow up: After the deskside, be sure to follow up with the journalist to thank him or her for taking the time to meet with you. You can also use this as an opportunity to provide any additional information that may be helpful, or to answer any questions the journalist may have. And don’t be afraid to follow up again in the future, even if the journalist didn’t cover your story this time around. Building relationships takes time and persistence.
In conclusion, desksides remain a valuable tool for PR professionals in 2023, but they require a different approach than in the past. By being selective, personalizing your pitch, making it visual, focusing on relationship-building, and following up, you can make the most of your desksides and achieve great results for your clients.
If you are looking to incorporate desksides into your PR strategy but are unsure where to start, BLND PR is here to help. Our team has extensive experience in planning and executing successful deskside meetings with top editors and influencers in the industry. We can work with you to create a tailored plan that fits your brand’s needs and goals, from selecting the right media outlets to preparing talking points and materials for the meeting. With our expertise, you can rest assured that your brand will make a lasting impression and gain valuable media coverage through desksides. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help elevate your PR efforts.